Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Tools

Gosh the weight loss thing is such a journey, isn't it? Deciding to do it, doing it, succeeding, then celebrating your success and finding yourself back in the beginning. There are studies ( I won't cite them cause whatever) that show that losing weight isn't that hard - but maintaining it is the struggle. There is actually an inertia in a heavier persons body that wants to reset the body to the weight it once was -- that an overweight person has to battle harder, day in and day out, to weigh less than a person that was always thinner and never battled the bulge (of the tummy). Seriously depressing, right?

Just like those brave men in WWII, we need the right strategy and tools to fight our battle. As you know, my main tool over the past two years has been the New Direction Diet and the support I found at Arizona Health & Wellness. I'm so grateful for the hope and encouragement I received there - and I'm not done. I rely daily on what I've learned there.

But I need a new thing. I've been spinning my wheels thru the dreadful Arizona summer. Gyming it - and managing to keep most of the weight at bay, even while my diet slipped. A little this day. A little that day.. till the only constant success I was having was my daily shake for breakfast and my working out. I've been down this road before... the road where I let myself eat whatever cause heck, I'm working out, right? It's all about diet Eddy. Always was, always is.

So, it's time to address this - and with a new strategy and a new tool. I am competitive by nature. With myself and with others. I need something different and new and shiny - the running and the kettlebells, they are only getting me so far. Hubs back surgery exacerbated my situation - and brought into focus his need to change his ways as well. He has liked Tony Horton, so it only made sense to look at Beachbody. Unwilling to commit to a single program, we signed up for their On Demand service which gives us access to a whole host of programs.

In October, I completed a 21 day Yoga Retreat on top of my gym/running workouts. I was surprised by the yoga and have continued doing it beyond the 21 days. It relaxed and strengthened my body in a wonderful way.  But it's November. Time to kick it up a notch. I unlocked a new MMA style workout - Core de Force.


I have a hunch this one is going to kick me into gear. But more than the workouts, I really need to reset my food intake. I took my measurements today, got back on the scale, took stock of where I am and more resigned than ever to get these 10 lbs that crept on, back off again. I have every intention of being a knock out in that LBD at the Christmas Party in December.

1 comment:

Laurel Zito said...

It is impossible or almost impossible to keep weight off if you have certain genes. I have fat genes on both sides of my family. I still try all the time, but as one ages it gets harder. One has to limit the amount of calories that one eats. Working out does not burn that many calories. As soon as one goes off a diet, all the pounds come back. One has to be a diet forever, that involves putting up with hungry. I am in the same position as you, but worst. I need to lose 20 pounds. There are some people who merely eat less and work out more, but for me it takes an extreme effort to lose weight and keep it off. There are too types of people those with skinny genes who burn more calories at rest and those who don't like me. Celebrities who appear on shows like GMA or the Today show can't gain weight and they take extreme measures. Doctors to the stars provide speed like drugs for the right price. They are mostly all cheating, I believe. You may have read only 98 percent of dieters can keep the weight off for two years. As soon as one loses weight, one gets hungry all the time. I merely want to say, fight the good fight and I will to, but don't blame yourself.