Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Dear Republican Party.. or Dear Democrats....

Dear Republican Party: 

Or Dear Democrats: 

Or Dear Friends, Neighbors, Acquaintances.... 

I don't know who I need to address this to, but I need to get it off my chest. 

I am white. I am educated. I am a mom. I am upper middle class.  I am the vote that wasn't supposed to be for Trump. I wasn't, until about 10 days ago... but that's another post. 

In the end, I was not with Her. I do not endorse his behavior or his language, or his past sexual encounters, or his business dealings. I voted based on my hope that Trump would surround himself with people that would guide him to return to the constitutional principles that the country was founded upon. It was a hope. Nothing more. I voted based on my long held political philosophy that liberty, freedom and speech are all more secure the less government is involved. I voted for the Supreme Court, the hope of tax reform, the economy. I voted to repeal and replace Obamacare. 

It's embarrassing that this morning I feel compelled to say: I am not a bigot. I am not a racist. I do not hate. Be very careful friends that you assume that because we voted for a party that we are those things. You generalize in a way that does your intellect no credit. I believe each of you is an individual who determined his or her vote based on thoughtful consideration. Please think the same of me. Your discourse only divides us further. 

Republican Party hear this: 

You must fix this. You have control of Congress and the Executive Branch. 
You must now be a solution, not a problem. 
You must have servant hearts. You must lead by example. 
Give back, engage in the community, prove to those that don't believe it that we can do more with less. 
You must be peacekeepers. You must shake hands. 
You must not squander this opportunity to correct the course of the country. 

If you do these things, you might regain my trust, but don't think you have a blank check just cause my ballot was cast for you. 

My world is full of dear friends with whom I disagree. After Obama won, one of you commented that I was your "favorite conservative". At the time, I posted something to the effect of, we are all Americans, and I congratulated Obama on his historic win. Today, we are still Americans and no vote can tear apart the fabric of the country that celebrates diversity, individuality, liberty, and religious freedom like ours - unless you let it. Please don't. 

No comments: