Monday, October 26, 2015

The Hen House

We're a little bit of crazy here in the Eddy house. I think we like it busy or something, although Hubs often reminds me he does not, in fact, like it busy.

As if buying a house, moving the family, having 3 kids under age 7, two full time professional jobs, 1 "fun" Mary & Martha job, travel, life, and all the other stuff wasn't enough....

We're getting chickens.

Yep. You heard that right. Hubs already lives with 1 hen and 3 chicks, so why not add a half dozen more?! Our babies are hatching next weekend, shipping on Monday and arriving via Priority Mail in the middle of next week. We didn't do extensive breed research but if you know me, you know I have expensive taste, so I wanted unique birds. We ordered two pullets each of dutch Welsummers, french Golden Cuckoo Marans, and Blue Ameracaunas. Coming direct from My Pet Chicken a good resource for folks who just want a small flock in their backyards, like us!

Our baby chicks might look something like this:

Blue Ameracaunas
                               
 Welsummers
                                                        Golden Cuckoo Marans                                                           
My only goal at the beginning is to keep them alive! Really lofty, I know, but apparently chicks are pretty dumb and prone to drowning themselves in their water dishes and stuff like that. So, if we get these little babies alive delivered from our primitive brooder to Hub's aweseomely-designed-but-yet-to-be-built-coop, we've succeeded! Hopefully sometimes in the next few months, our girls will look more like this:

Blue Ameracauna Hen
 Welsummer Hen
                                         
Golden Cuckoo Maran Hen

Then, some day, if I'm making an omlette with one of these beauties I'll be even more esctatic! Secretly, or maybe not so secretly, I think Hubs hopes this will turn me into some knitting pioneer woman. Unlikely. I'm in it for the eggs! 

 Blue Ameracauna Eggs
 Golden Cuckoo Maran Eggs
Welsummer Eggs

For now, forget decorating our new abode, we're building a chicken house! I'll try to document this crazy like a chicken with its head cut off adventure on the blog! Stay tuned! 

Oh, and those wondering about my weight loss? I'm maintaining at 10lbs less than my goal weight at current. Been hanging out at this weight (10lbs off my skinniest adult weight) for about a month. Adding more sensible foods, and working out when I can get myself to the gym. Doctor said to maintain for now, going to weekly meetings and back for follow up in December. Amazing how fast 70lbs slid off my frame. If I can do it, you can do it too!! Google the New Direction Diet! 

No comments: