Monday, October 20, 2014

HalloThanksMas

It is hard to believe that we are already on the "back nine" of October, but alas, we are... and yes, we are still golfing here in Phoenix. You should see my folks, golf-apalooza. I don't golf, but I hear a lot about it.

I've been doing a lot of reflection this weekend as I puttered around the house -- of course, it was all a random stream of consciousness.. something like this:

about friendship...


about being a good friend... keeping friends.. making friends.. allowing for friendships to grow and change. I distinctly remember sitting out with my friend Kayla late last spring, as our kids splashed in the pool, and the reality of her moving to China hit me - I've got to make more friends. I've got to make an effort. I admired Kayla's courage to pick up her young family and move to China. I've made similiarly bold decisions in the past, and I am always happier when I am putting myself out there. But there is effort involved, it is work.  I wouldn't recommend taking up a 2nd job to everyone to meet people, but it is a conduit to involvement. For me, it has worked. It started with a decision - the leap of faith to sign up. I knew it would change me, I knew it would be a challenge. I knew it was outside of my comfort zone. I knew it would lead to moments that made me wonder what on earth I was thinking... but nonetheless, I felt the tug. And jumped. I figure most friendship are like this. Especially as adults - it isn't so easy as shameless walking across the street and asking Susie to come out and play. As adults, its different. You have the spouse factor - will my husband like her husband? You have the lifestyle factor - do they drink? will they think we are pathetic when we start yawning at 9pm? You have the effort factor - will they judge use for the 2 inches of cheerios that flood the floors? So yes, all that....

about forgiving...


I've been hurt. I've had my feelings hurt. I've been physically hurting. I'm feeling fragile. When you feel that way, the instinct is to retreat. To "shelter in place" to use a prepper term. To find solace in the people who love you know matter what, the places that aren't risky, to lick wounds and feed fears. September did this to me. I just wanted to crawl into the fetal position and wait for the storm to pass. It did pass, and I feel renewed just knowing that the calendar has flipped to the next month. I'm heading into a busy time - the calendar seems to be overflowing... and that is a blessing. I'm excited. I'm anxious to lose some down time. I'm interested to see what God has in store. I'm hopeful for the future, despite a significant amount of upheaval in our family life with jobs, commitments etc.

about faith...




having it.. sharing it... losing it... regaining it. Reviving it. I am especially keen on preparing my family for the upcoming season... and I think it is with all these thoughts over the weekend that I wanted to share this:


No comments: