Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Preamble of my WHY


I've been running. Physically, in the past 10 days, I've been to San Diego, Phoenix, Kansas City and Phoenix again. I've been reading, Jack Canfield, Lysa Terkeurst, Psalms, Hebrews. A not so conspicuous recurring theme, ok, God has been smacking me over the head with it:

What is my story? What is my Why?



Now, I've sat through a number sermons that have encouraged me to write my testimony. But my Why is more of a testimony of where I've been and how I accepted Christ as Lord, it is the question: How do I live now? How do I now act? Am I being obedient in my calling?

Jack Canfield calls it your personal mission statement - it is the one sentence that encompasses the goal of everything that you do. Now, it all sounds really simple and easy. One sentence. Everything. All tasks, all moments, all purposeful intention should be put towards furthering your Y. Your personal mission.

I've always been wildly jealous of those women who just know......... they were born with this intense burning desire to pursue a certain talent, professional or mission. They seem to be hardwired with an intensity and passion for their calling. They have no doubt. They just march, step by step, towards their goal in relentless pursuit.

I am not one of these people. Oh, I wish I was. I remember in my college years wondering what I was doing. I remember sitting on a balcony in Baltimore lamenting my lack of drive. Wondering what I was intended to do? What am I going to do when I grow up?

And now, I am all grown up. With a loving husband and three beautiful daughters. Sometimes I look around and wonder: How did I get here?! I didn't just stumble onto this blessed life and  yet, I am still full of awe of what I've become and where I've landed.

At Mary & Martha national conference this weekend, the theme was: 

Embrace your Place. 


Maybe my Y isn't a big ambitious goal. Maybe I'm not going to win an Olympic medal (pretty much no chance of that), but maybe my calling is sitting here just waiting to be fulfilled, as a mom, as a contributor to my family, as a Christian in my community. Maybe my calling is to be the best I can be in the place that I am. It isn't glamorous, but it is real. Jesus was real, so I am in good company in my humanity. Maybe my mission is right here and all I have to do is obey. Act. Embrace it. Do something instead of sitting here wondering..

I don't have my one sentence personal mission statement yet. I am putting pen to paper and working on that, so stayed tuned. But I have written down 5 goals that I have in the next year. These are personal goals, and they clearly cannot be accomplished without strengthening my relationship with Christ. They involve acting, doing and obeying:

1. Be a more patient, engaged, Christ-loving mother and spouse
2. Make my house more than a pass thru, make it a home, practice hospitality
3. Take care of the body God gave me, be healthier, lose 50lbs
4. Use the gifts God gave me as a leader, in all my jobs and in the community
5. Work towards more financial security

I've got a lot of work to do but I am renewed in the Spirit and ready to obey. Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good deeds. And let us not neglect meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of His return is drawing near. Hebrews 10:24-25.

1 comment:

Mary B said...

awesome blog! I love your goals! You are on the right path, glory in God does not have to equal fame. He is about honoring the gifts we have been given with a heart of love! You are on your way! :) Mary B. P31 OBS team