Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?

If you have offspring.. if you have girl offspring... then you are probably like me.. living with the Frozen soundtrack blaring into your psyche both night and day. I wish I could say I had some grand blog design for this Frozen inspired post. I don't. I just happened to have woke up with little Anna's voice inquiring:

"Do you wanna build a snowman?"

Without rehashing the entire movie, lets just say little Olaf the snowman doesn't realize his weaknesses as a snowman and flirts dangerously close to fire (and extinction) at a point. He also, as he says: "Likes warm hugs." Now, I don't want to beat some sort of message into this blog, but Disney's got something there. Olaf has got the right attitude. Maybe he comes across as a bit foolish... or in adult terms, hedonistic. But the joy of Olaf is that he doesn't even know his frailties to be fearful of them.


How wonderful would that be? Us humans are all too aware of our failures and many of us live with a lot of fears because of them. Olaf exudes joy because he has no fear.  If you've seen the movie, you know these themes are repeated in a more nuanced way with the princesses, Elsa & Anna. But I want to focus on Olaf because Olaf represents a childlike joy, one that I'd really like to capture more often in my days.

XJL, my oldest, is turning 6 this month and when given the option choose to have a short vacation in lieu on a party. She wants to see snow. She wants to build a snowman. Turns out, I want to build a snowman too. In fact, I can't wait.

Thanks, Olaf. 

This weeks weigh in:

Weight lost: 4lbs
Weight to lose to next goal: 10 lbs
Weight lost since delivery: 42 lbs 

No comments: