Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lets be intellectually honest, shall we?

I posted this on Facebook, but I think it is worth repeating here: And here is where I differ with many Republicans: All these posts about Gun Violence vs. Abortion. If you support freedom, for example freedom of speech, then you have to allow for ugly speech as well as the good. Same thing with personal freedom, if you support the liberty to protect your person, then you also should support the liberty to do with your person as you will, whether it be drink a Big Gulp or have an abortion. That is an intellectually honest position. It may not be a moral position but part of religious freedom is not infringing on someone else's rights to do as they please. Same can be said for gay marriage. Why should I stand in the way of someone else's happiness to enter into a marriage contract? Who am I to say no? How about I won't judge you for being gay and getting married and you don't judge me for owning a gun and driving an SUV? And I'll say it again, who will be the spokesperson for reasonable conservative positions while all the politicians put their head in the sand or stick their necks out with their idiocy? Imagine a government that doesn't have its tentacles into every facet of our lives.... imagine how much freedom we would have over our own destiny, not entitled, not fair, just free to be whomever, however and wherever we wanted. Imagine how much we could impact the national deficit if we stopped all the intrusions into our person space and Americans just stood up and said to Big Government: "Get the hell out of my business!"

1 comment:

ltlindian said...

I could be a republican if they would just stay the hell out of my womb, church (or lack thereof) and marriage.

I agree with your post totally.