Monday, March 5, 2012

Palm Tree Redux (Week 15 Training Recap)

My - I need more Palm Trees in my Life  - blog post has become mysteriously popular. It has skyrocketed to the top of my sidebar list of most popular blogs.  It is more popular than my After Pictures! There are an extraordinary amount of people reading this one particular blog post. Why?

I can only conclude that I'm not the only person out there who needs more palm trees in their life.
 
Sharing my childlike joy (I am an Aries) of palm trees makes me happy  - even more so now, because, there will soon be more palm trees in my life. Lots of them. Some of them will make a daily appearance. Like this one, the one I have dubbed "Mr. Palm Tree" who graces my new front yard:


But Mr. Palm Tree is only a recent affair. Ask my Bestie, I've been declaring that I've needed more palm trees in my life for years.  In college, we had a palm tree in our dorm room, "Juan".  He was our resident palm tree. Our dream of tropical life in a central Pennsylvania sorority house basement dorm room. He signified adventure, love and sun when our life was reduced to senior thesis and interview for jobs at insurance companies in Hoboken NJ (not that there are anything wrong with insurance companies or Hoboken NJ, but just sayin). Juan even had a mate, my car, Juanita. Ok, I'm special. I know.... .

"I need more palm trees in my life!" has been a frequent battle cry for Eddy. I've yearned for palm trees in February. I've lusted for them in November. I've planned for them even when others would avoid them (hurricane season!). I accept all types. Short and fat. Tall and skinny. It has everything to do with those palm fronds. And when they sway in the wind... give me an umbrella drink, I'm in heaven. And as I think about it, my mind slips off into that lovely Caribbean breeze.... ah.... but I digress.

I was 3 miles short of my training goal this week. It is a first  for me and my training. I'm pretty much cutting myself a whole lot of slack here. I've got no race. I've got no weekends. I'm moving across the country. I'm pretty freaking proud at having run 28 miles this week, and two runs were 10 milers. It is What it is, folks.


 Count: 4 Activities
 Distance: 28.77 mi
 Time: 5:03:49 h:m:s
 Elevation Gain: 856 ft
 Avg Speed: 5.7 mph
 Avg HR: 150 bpm
 Calories: 3,668 C





1 comment:

Jenn @ A Runner's Road said...

Juan! That's great! I plan on getting my "fix" of palm trees by making a special trip to Az. once you are settled.