Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tis the nite before the 5K


Tis the night before my first 5K and not a toddler is stirring...

As a sit and listen to my revamped running playlist (dutifully crafted to be just 30 minutes, the last 3 minutes of which I hope not to hear), it occurred to me that I should write something on my blog - to read the night before I run my first half marathon. Wink. Wink. Nod. Nod.

I'm nervous, yes. But I think more than that, I am sort of astounded that somehow in my strange brain a 5K (which I only learned less than 6 months ago equals 3.1 miles) now feels like a sprint. I've learned in the last 2 months that it actually takes me about 3 miles to warm up. When I run longer, the first 3 miles are the hardest 3 miles of the whole run. Rut Ro.

My goal has changed from just finishing to finishing well. Or at least, running a personal best. All sorts of strange competitive feelings that I haven't felt since the height of my swimming days (Jr. year high school) are creeping back in.

And then I take a deep breath and think back about what I was writing on this blog this time last year. I was painstakingly chronicling my calories and watching the scales drop. By Thanksgiving, I had dropped 47 lbs and worried relentlessly about adding just a drop of butter and sugar back into my diet. I was on the road of getting my life back.

Life is good. Here I am, on the eve of running my first 5K. I am starting half marathon training on Monday. I've got two gorgeous and healthy children. I am blessed with two loving parents who I have the luxury of seeing daily. I have amazing siblings who are brilliant and supportive. I have a husband who is loving, supportive, giving and super proud of me.

No matter the time on the Garmin, I am so thankful for all of these blessings.

And just cause you were wondering. I've tapered this week. 5K on Monday. Easy 2 mile jog on Tuesday and resting today. Trying to save these legs for tomorrow!

My running stats from last week:

Count: 4 Activities
Distance: 23.11 mi
Time: 3:47:06 h:m:s
Elevation Gain: 1,360 ft
Avg Speed: 6.1 mph
Avg HR: 152 bpm
Calories: 2,754 C

No comments: