Thursday, November 24, 2011

Berbee Derby Recap


Race recap. Ok, first race. No real idea what to expect. I didn't expect SO many people. I over emphasized a warming trend on the weather, such that, my poor children, husband and parents were freezing to death.

I totally get all the jokes about the porta potties now. Those poor people in line behind me running late for the 10K start - whoops! Should have planned ahead!

I had a couple of minor mishaps (didn't get my tights cinched up tight enough in aforementioned porta potty and thus felt like my pants were falling off the whole run). I did run with music, and was glad I did. I didn't anticipate the steep hill around the turn near the 2.5 mile mark, which was, unfortunately right after I had kicked up into 8 mile pace. Ouch. Lots of my co-runners were walking up that one, I refused to walk.

Oh, and I ran out of fuel at the end. To be expected I suppose.

But, despite the weaving traffic cones, dodging walkers and trying not to step on any school kids - I felt a great sense of accomplishment. Check that off the list. Did it. Done.

The results:

46/238 in my age group
417/2022 overall
Time 29:22
Pace 9:27

and here are my splits, cause my goal was really to do some decent negative splits:

Mile 1 - 10:10.7
Mile 2 - 8:36.6
Mile 3 - 9:19.1

I've run faster at home by myself. I've had better splits. But frankly, once I realized that the "traffic" is half the battle, the 3 miles themselves are hardly worth stressing about.

Thanks to my support, Mom, Dad, Erik & the girls! I know this wasn't the most fun thing to do on a Thanksgiving morning and it means a lot to me that you guys came out to see me blur by for 30 seconds.

Half Marathon training starts Monday. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments: