Sunday, October 2, 2011

Why I am a Runner

That's it. It is official. I am a runner. Not because I have done any races. Not because I am built like a stick figure. Not because I live in my sneakers. No. Those are not the reasons.

I am a runner because I am addicted. I can't seem to go a day without a run. There is this internal thing in me that loves the endorphin rush. That loves getting past that 3, 4, or 5 mile mark and feel like I can still keep going. I love feeling that every time I get out there I am steadier, stronger and faster. Each time I am working my lungs and working off the jiggle. Every time I come in and pull off my Garmin that I have ten times as much energy as I did before. I have less appetite for food and more appetite for life.

That's why I am a runner. And yep, I am a runner now. I am afraid to stop. I am afraid to lose this level of fitness, where I can run 5 miles, and then walk up and down the block and have a heart rate back under 100. That's why I run.

I also run so that I can eat. I haven't purposefully stopped logging my food diary, but inadvertently I have. I haven't been eating perfectly well these past few weeks. I am splurging on date night, desserts, and too much bread. But I've run. And so I am thrilled to report that 6 weeks after my goal achievement of 100 lbs lost, I have maintained my weight loss to the pound. Now granted I feel a bit guilty, cause frankly, I would have lost weight if I hadn't splurged, but this is about living, and I am doing just that. Like today, perfect football, chili in the crockpot and homemade apple pie with apples from our orchard trip. Gotta love fall!



My week, running:

Count: 6 Activities
Distance: 24.28 mi
Time: 4:04:03 h:m:s
Elevation Gain: 572 ft
Avg Speed: 6.0 mph
Calories: 3,165 C

I ran long and hard this week. I probably should have stayed home for 2 of these runs, but I didn't. Part of the reason is that we are taking a trip in the next week and I'm sure I will be missing my running time. It is family time and I can't wait to show off my two little beauties to some family in Maryland that we don't get to see very often.

No comments: