Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sunroom Cafe




Continuing my tour of breaking my fast in new and exciting locales in Madison Wisconsin, my mother and I stopped into the Sunroom Cafe on Friday morning. The Sunroom is down on State Street tucked between some urban hippie import stores and third world food imports, up a rather humble looking staircase into a white walled cafe lined with local art and a chalkboard menu.

The cafe was clean, homey and lacking any obvious attempt at being cool or trendy. The menu boats a range of scramblers, omelette, pancakes and other baked goods.

Sticking with my high protein diet, I chose a omelette's with spinach, mushrooms and feta. My mother is a great lover of quiche and couldn't pass up the quiche of the day which was zucchini and Parmesan. We both choose orange juice.







The cafe was attended by a rather subdued group of folks. Breakfast was definitely what was going on here. Food was being consumed. A group of retirees on their weekly outing. A couple here, some students there.





Overall, we found the food to be dry. Both my mother's quiche and my omelet seemed to be lacking some essential quality. They were both just, well, so-so. The quiche was perhaps a day old and overheated. The eggs were a bit chewy and the crust was anything but crusty or flaky. My eggs were less than memorable. If it weren't for the feta, I am not sure I wouldn't have finished them. The accompanying toast was dry and potatoes were good if not too large for breakfast potatoes.

The down low:

Would I go back? If I were in the neighborhood and starving... maybe. Make a special trip? No.
Take the girls? Doesn't appear to be set up for kids although I didn't see any actual hindrances to children attendance.

No comments: