Friday, June 17, 2011

Crema Cafe

Lets just be very clear on one thing. In no way am I in any way qualified to critique food, wine or anything epicurean for that matter. I am pretty much a fan of all things tasty and have very little distinction in my palate (or whatever they call it). I know what I like. I know what I don't like.

I come to your now with a new series of blog posts. See, us Eddy's, well, we love breakfast. All things breakfast. Eggs, bacon, pancakes, orange juice, its all good. For years I have been begging my brother to start a blog wherein he discusses his tour of breakfast joints in Minneapolis. He has not taken me up on my suggestion.

So, I'll do it.

I have the luxury of having some free time on Friday mornings every other week. I've decided, in order to be a better and more well rounded citizen of Madison, that I will (with the assistance of my lovely sidekick - my mother -) pick a different local place to eat breakfast and discuss my findings here. If that interests you, read on.

This morning with complete randomness, I internet searched - Breakfast, Madison. Up popped Creme Cafe. Off we went. I really had no idea what to expect. I knew we were heading to a strip mall on Monona Dr., but beyond that, I had no clue.

What a nice little surprise! Upon our arrival, we spied a group lounging outside on the sidewalk enjoying the view of the lake and the distance facade of the Capital building. Inside, the cafe was clean, uncluttered and clearly popular. It was well attended at the hour of 8:30am on a Friday. The clientele appeared to be largely female and ranged in age from the sporty retiree to the hipster college student (perhaps Grad, I can't tell ages like I used to be able to!).

Mom and I mulled over the printed menus and the chalk boards. A note on the menu, it looks fairly limited but there seems to be something for every taste. We made the following selections:

Mara: Egg Scramble of the Day - which today included, Zucchini, Red Pepper, Goat Cheese (how is that EVER wrong?) and chives with a side of sweet potato hash and fresh squeezed orange juice.

Mom: Sweet Ginger French Toast which consisted of a nice little french bread topped with sweet ginger masarpone and candied pecans. A sure diet buster but we had to try it. DE-LISH!

The food came out fresh and fast (ambiance bonus points for hearing the chef's loud kitchen conversation and order up jollies!) and nicely portioned. This is not the plate of food you would get at Denny's. A nice human size portion and in my case, accompanied by a nice side salad of nicely dressed greens. Did you get that? It was nice.

Coffee takers came and went. Others stayed with laptops. A group of ladies met for breakfast, couple in the corner. The place looks kid friendly, even boasting a nice kids menu on the board, but at this time Friday morning, there were no kids present. Decor is 1960's cool kitch and is a nice contrast to the vibrant-fresh-nothing-from-the-microwave breakfast.

Repeat trip? You bet. Even with the girls.
Prices? Average for good fresh food - about $10 per person, $7 per plate plus drink.
Ambiance: low key, casual, hang out or go.
Location: Could be a good stop off before an outing to Olbrich Gardens.
My biggest mistake? Not deciding to write this blog until we had left, and thus, I have no pic of my food to share! No worries, I will get one next time!

To tempt you, here's an image from their website. YUM!

No comments: