Tuesday, January 18, 2011

An Inspiration and other accusations


So more than one person this week has called me "an inspiration" or better yet... "damn you for making me do this.."

I want to defend myself on both points.

I am not an inspiration. I am just a woman fed up with what I had done to myself. I think a lot about things like personal responsibility, individual freedoms and risk in my job. Sometimes those topics spill over to my thoughts on politics as well. As much as I think people should be free to do, say, feel, worship or eat what they please, they should also be responsible for it.

What does that boil down to? It boils down to this. I made myself overweight.

The next realization.

I am the only person that can make myself less overweight.

It is pretty simple really. But in this day, and age, and culture, it is pretty easy to fall into the trap of... I will do it tomorrow, or I will find an easy way to undo it, or better yet, I will find someone else to undo it, or I am entitled to be this way or that.

I was a victim of feeling that I could get by without doing the work. The work of being personally responsible for what I was doing, or not doing, as the case may be. I was responsible for the consumption of ice cream and I was responsible for not excercising beyond huffing and puffing up the stairs.

So, don't look at me as some sort of miracle. I am not. I am working hard and taking ownership. It might behoove me to do this in all realms of my life, but at the mo, it is happening here in regards to weight. I am pretty sure my employer would like me to do the same at work, but that will have to wait for another day.

And on count two, don't blame me for making you lose weight or excercise... you got no one but yourself to blame. And someday, blame won't even be the issue. You might actually enjoy your new habit. I do.

No comments: