Wednesday, October 27, 2010

You know I can't keep my mouth shut.


If you are going to come out, you might as well own it. It is no secret that I am a vocal conservative. There are, I am guessing, a lot of people that have blocked my facebook posts because of my politics. I know. Maybe I share too much. Maybe I offend my liberal friends by my very existence. I hope not. I hope they know me well enough to know that I am not a “bitter clinger”. I am not “without science or reason”. I am, just, well, unapologetic. And you need to hear why.

Here are the things I cannot get with.

I cannot get with legislating moral values. Debates on Roe v. Wade and other culture war issues do not get me excited. That isn’t my bread and butter. You aren’t going to hear me preaching on those issues.

I cannot get with legislating common sense. If you do something stupid, and you hurt yourself or someone else, you should pay the price. We’ve got a legal system to deal with it. If you want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, and then you end up squished on the highway. You assumed the risk. You knew the danger. There it is. Call me callous, but unless you are a danger to the public, I don’t care what you do to yourself. Eat McDonald’s every day for 75 years. You pay the price.

But, what I can get excited about – what I routinely get excited about – is being told, by some almightly smarty pants government that they know what is better for me than I know for myself. That if I fork over 25% or 35% of my salary, that the government is better equipped to give it out to people who need it. That the government is more efficient at doling out health care than the private sector. That the government is going to secure my well being. That the government is more reliable than, well, frankly, I am.

My very sweet (and for what it adds to the story, immigrant and Russian) hairdresser asked me– “So, are you going to vote in the election?” the last time I was in her chair.

I sort of stopped mid-conversation. Politics is a whole different conversations than weight loss, fashion trends or the weather. I looked at her seriously.

“Are you sure you want to talk politics? I have pretty strong views.”

She laughed. Sure, she said. She doesn’t have any strong philosophy and went on to explain that there was a Russ Feingold campaign worker in her chair last week telling her to vote for Russ.

I explained that I don’t necessarily vote for a person. I vote for a philosophy. I believe in freedom and liberty. In small government. In state’s rights. I believe that as an individual with half a brain, I have the ability and should be the master of my own destiny. If that means buying a house and then ending up paying a mortgage that is $70,000 upside down, so be it (and so it is). I have a responsibility. I assumed the risk. I bought the house and signed the loan. I will pay the price. Ultimately, I am accountable. I don’t want a bail out. I don’t want a stimulus or a cash for my clunker. I will just try to learn my lesson.

I told her that I hear that Russ Feingold is a nice guy. A “maverick” even. In fact, he’s so liberal that he often times doesn’t vote with his fellow Dems because they aren’t liberal enough. Nothing against Russ as a person, I just don’t agree with his political philosophy. No big left leviathan for me. No thanks.

My hairdresser was quiet and contemplative. It is hard to engage in civil political discourse. Particularly if you are seen as backwards or just down right ignorant for not agreeing with the view that is being peddled by the mainstream media, the liberal university, the cool green crowd or the other influential voices in your community. She went on cutting my hair.

So, for any or all of my closet conservative friends. It is time to come out. It is time to say enough is enough. We live in American people, not western Europe (ps. Do you really want to live in France these days? Greece? England?). Get your hands off my wallet and my liberty Mr. D.C.

Let’s roll.

No comments: