Thursday, July 17, 2008

Racial Divide

Some random thoughts on a black and white topic...

In 2007, Don Imus referred to members of the the Rutger womens basketball team as "nappy-headed hos." He said it with the cameras rolling and the microphones on. The following days we saw Reverend Jesse Jackson protested in front of NBC, was interviewed on The Today show, and would talk to any camera he could get in front of, in order to chastize Don Imus.

Flash foward to 2008. Reverend Jesse Jackson is caught, microphone on, using far more explosive language that Don Imus ever muttered...

"Barack...he's talking down to black people...telling n—s how to behave."

Why is it okay for a black man, a Reverend, a man who has had aspirations to run this country, to EVER use the n-word? Why aren't we protesting him now? Why is okay for a black man to call a black man a n---?

I am a white woman, so I am sure I just don't get it. I watched the video of Elisabeth Hasselbeck on The View. She was in tears asking Whoopi...'we do live in the same world?' Whoopi insisted no, we don't. Well, if it is okay for a black man to refer to his own black community in such derogatory language perhaps the black community is perpetuating the two world that Whoopi says exist? I don't think you can have such a double standard that Don Imus gets protested and loses his job and Reverend Jesse Jackson can say the n-word and it is okay. Something has got to give.

For me... people are people. Some people are stupid. Some people are smart. Some people are gorgeous. Some people aren't. Others are tall. Some short. I do think we are drawn to people like ourselves. Its natural, its comfortable. Some people thrive on diversity. Before I married a man not unlike myself, I dated many a man from other cultures including two black men. People are people. Some are worthy to be loved. Some aren't.

In my book, its not easy to preach racially equality when you don't treat the race you advocate with respect. Reverend Jesse Jackson should receive no more air time as a representative of the black community.... his language does not a community build.

No comments: