Sunday, June 8, 2008

A digital government conversion

Have you seen the February 2009 digital TV conversion advertisements? They seem to be on multiple times during the prime time lineup. If you fail to have a TV manufactured in the last 30 years, or don't have cable... if you have RABBIT ears... you might loose your TV signal. Heck, if you have rabbit ears, you should be happy you have any signal at all, and running water for that matter.... but I digress...

Our government is spending how much money, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars, running advertisements during prime time about a TV conversion that is going to happen NEXT year. The change may have a "detrimental" effect on a subset of Americans that still live with rabbit ears. I am not a raging liberal... I am not a liberal at all but really - Are there not more pressing problems for the American congress than the 2009 digital TV conversion?

Its just highlights the ridiculousness of the politics that take place in Washington. But then, the cynical part of me thinks - isn't TV one of our nations priorities? For many, I am sure it is. That cynicism makes me want to do is chuck my 42' plasma out my two story condo window. But then, my daughter would miss Playhouse Disney, and we can't have that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So am I gonna lose my tv signal? I still don't get it....
Anothergirlcallededdy :-)

Kim said...

Alas, there are those of us who do still have rabbit ears. The poor folk with the stay at home mom and the hubbie who brings home the bread. Rock on rabbit ears, rock on. We still need Barney and Teletubbies to soothe the savage beasts.